Wednesday, January 10, 2018

2017 wrap-up and review

Well, hello to another new year. The holidays were delightful - we had a great time just hanging out just the two of us and also with friends. We played games, watched movies, and did the sorts of things that make you think being either retired or independently wealthy sounds like a fantastic idea.

2017 ended pretty well artistically. since the last time I've blogged (whoops) I was in two shows: Cottonwood Center of the Arts had a monochrome show and I was able to enter three pieces in it using the new acrylic pouring techniques i have been working on:


I didn't expect them to be all hung together like that - I think it makes for a really dramatic presentation! It was incredibly fun event - I got to talk to a lot of people about my art, which was challenging for me, but I ended up really enjoying it! Some dear friends bought the red one ("Ruby") and it is hanging in their house now. I need to take a picture of it in its new spot...

The second show I was in was the member show run by the Pikes Peak Arts Council, an organization that I joined in 2017. They had a show in December downtown at the Plaza of the Rockies and I had two pieces in that one:





(The white balance is a bit off in these pictures, but you get the idea.) Both shows were great, and I thought it was a good way to wrap up the year. My goal was to be in six shows, which was also my 2016 goal, but I was actually in seven shows so that was pretty cool. I sold a few pieces, some to friends and one through a show (the Expressionism one in the fall). In total, I sold four pieces for a total of $600 and gave two experimental pieces to a friend. I am still at the point as an artist that it kind of blows me away that people own my work that I don't know.

So, goals for 2018: I want to spend more time in art because I really felt like I could have done a lot more in 2017. Cottonwood's 2018 shows are all based on being inspired by other artists (they're even calling it "A Year of Inspiration") which I think will be a way to expose myself to other artists in a way that I really haven't before.

I also stopped taking classes for a few different reasons and I think I'd like to try taking some online classes that might fit into my schedule better. The Internet is a great resource for online learning and I think I'd like to take advantage of that this year.

I am also hoping to get my work out into the world more...that means entering in shows as well as this blog and seeing about using other online resources to grow as an artist.

Here's hoping I can jump in feet first and make a great start to the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment