Thursday, March 16, 2017

Edward Hopper

I recently got back from a trip to New York City where I spent most of my time lurking in museums. One of the paintings I was excited to see (again) is one of my favorite paintings at the Met - Edward Hopper's The Lighthouse at Two Lights:


I'm sure many artists would call him trite and provincial, but I really enjoy Hopper's work: simple yet it draws you in with every painting having some hidden story and uniquely American with an undercurrent of loneliness (I suppose growing up outside of Chicago and frequently getting to see Nighthawks at the Art Institute  on field trips didn't exactly hurt either).

The Muddy Colors blog recently posted about Hopper as their "Artist of the Month." Worth a look and I promise to write more about my trip and what I saw. (Alas, no pictures from the Frick collection.)

No comments:

Post a Comment