Monday, August 8, 2016

Figure painting workshop

I finished a figure painting workshop this weekend -- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

It was pretty tiring -- I'm not used to painting five hours a day, that's for sure. It was really fun painting from live models, although it was difficult capturing the image. I take a weekly figure drawing class from the same teacher so I think I was able to use some of those gesture capturing skills much better than the last time I took the class (last November, I think). Manipulating the paint in the time given, though -- that was harder, especially as we added more colors as the weekend went on.

I think the two big things I took from the class are:

1) I need to paint and draw more on my own. I need to practice gestures a lot more as well. There was a time where I was knocking out quick gestures (5-10 seconds) for a couple of hours every day. I need to get back to that as well as painting more often.

2) Color! A class like this shows me how shaky I am at color identification and mixing. I'm still at that point where I try to match a color be mixing it and putting it down on the canvas and I go, "no, that's not quite right..." but sometimes I just can't articulate why. We were talking this weekend about greenish shadows or purplish fleshtones and most of the time I just couldn't see it. I think (and hope) that if I do more of (1) that (2) will follow.

Here's a quick study I was really pleased with this weekend:


No comments:

Post a Comment